Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thanksgiving- pt.1

Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday because I love food. Not fancy schmancy food just traditional, warm, fond memory invoking food and spending time with friends/family. But the whole premise of the holiday irks me; it always has. Her is my version of Thanksgiving.

We celebrate a day of giving thanks to the Pilgrims who settled on this land. These Pilgrims stole the land from the Indians after befriending them. The two groups broke bread together and the Pilgrims just kept on eating. I am pretty sure the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" was coined from this feast. Thousands of Indians died because the white man took their land, their homes, their food- why exactly is that a day of celebration?? With that said, I do not give thanks. I do not thank you Pilgrims for being liars and thieves. Yet I still have a Thanksgiving dinner because that's what we have been trained to do. Just like Black Friday (don't get me started on that hot button!)

So last night while I was watching a TV show I had an epiphany about the Thanksgiving holiday. I do not celebrate the historical value of the day. I celebrate actually being thankful and as I get older I find myself appreciating the little things more and more. And because I know you are all anxious to know what I am thankful for; I will tell you :).

I am thankful for:

  • My boys. The husband and son are the reason I get out of bed every single day and push through. Sometimes it is just to get away from them, I won't lie. But I love them.
  • A job. Without it I would have to turn into a Pilgrim and steal from others.
  • Our animals- the unconditional love is something I wish humans had for one another but the fur babies, they just know things...
  • Our friends. My words cannot describe how incredible our gaggle of friends are. No matter what time of day, what state, what the situation is you are always there with an open mind, words of wisdom, logic, a smack in the head- everything. And most of you I have known for over 20 years. Thank you guys for being our framily. (cue The Golden Girls theme here)
  • Our family. Even those that are dearly departed you are still with us. Each of you has taught us something in life whether you realize it or not.
  • Eyes. I really, really appreciate having my eyesight. Don't laugh- think about it.
  • Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. The best movie ever for those that ever wonder about life. If you haven't seen it, watch it. 
  • Books. Reading takes me to places and situations I will never be in. I can live vicariously!
  • Sunsets. Every night on my drive home I get to watch the sky change. EVERY.NIGHT. How many of you actually notice it while you are sitting in traffic? Look up people! You are missing some fabulous sights. 
  • A sense of humor. It might be twisted and immature. But ya know what, if I didn't laugh I would be hospitalized. Life knocks you down and sometimes all that you can do is laugh at it. 
  • Coffee. This needs no explanation.
  • Cheetos! My list would not be complete without Cheetos. I love them so..
And last but not least, time. I am thankful I have time in my life. I have had time to meet my husband, to have a baby, to visit new places, meet new people. To see the sunset in Key West multiple times! To learn how to cook and sew and be a clown; to volunteer in my son's youth group and drink coffee and eat Cheetos. We don't have an infinite amount of time here on this earth (no, I am not being religious or sappy here). So as you are all gathering with your families and friends this Thanksgiving please think about what you are really thankful for. I know I will be.

Happy turkey day!



No comments:

Post a Comment